
The Independent Commission for Infrastructure (ICI) is enlisting the help of police engineers and crime scene operatives to ensure that missing structures don’t slip through bureaucratic cracks, said in a press briefing on Oct. 21.
The commission has teamed up with engineers from the Philippine National Police (PNP) and the Scene of the Crime Operatives (SOCO) to prepare for field validation of 421 flood control projects found to be nonexistent during joint inspections by the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH), the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), and the Department of Economy, Planning, and Development (DEPDev).
ICI executive director Brian Keith Hosaka said the coordination with law enforcement aims to make the fact-finding process airtight.
“We wanted to coordinate with them to discuss with them the procedure and how we will go about this,” Hosaka said in a press briefing.
The meeting also included private sector expert Engineer Michael Reyes of the Council of Engineering Consultants of the Philippines, who was tapped for his insights on how to verify the projects.
Hosaka said the participation of SOCO would help ensure that the investigation follows proper forensic procedures.
“We are looking at evidence here. What we are looking at is that a crime has happened… so we have to make sure that the evidence to be gathered will be acceptable in court,” he added.
The ICI’s move adds a layer of scientific precision to what has largely been a paper trail investigation, reflecting growing concern that technical fraud in infrastructure projects may have gone unnoticed for years.
On the other hand, the PNP issued a statement on October 22 in line with the meeting they had with the ICI, stating that the national police is ready to give technical and investigative support, ensuring a documented and transparent process.
“The discussion focused on enhancing information-sharing and system integration among partner agencies in connection with the ICI’s ongoing investigation into alleged irregularities in government flood control and related infrastructure projects,” they stated.
Out of over 8,000 inspected projects nationally, DPWH Secretary Vince Dizon handed along the list of 421 fictitious flood control projects earlier this month.
According to him, the projects, which are dispersed throughout Mindanao, Visayas, and Luzon, are merely preliminary results; over 100,000 projects are still for assessment.
Dizon previously stated that since ghost projects are nonexistent in the first place, it would be easy to determine accountability, which would speed up the filing of prosecutions.
“Out of the 8,000, ang na-validate na ghost ng AFP, DND at NEDA ay 421,” Dizon said in a press briefing at the ICU office on October 8.
In order to prevent case overlap, the Department of Justice (DOJ) has also made it clear that it is working with ICI to coordinate its own investigation into infrastructure irregularities.
According to Prosecutor General Richard Fadullon, ICI representatives participate in DOJ-led investigations to facilitate information exchange and avoid labor duplication.
Calls for justice have been echoed by lawmakers. All parties involved should be given due process, according to House Deputy Speaker Paolo Ortega V, who also stated that the impartiality of the ICI is essential to its integrity.
“Justice must never be selective
..The process must be based on facts, not political color or pressure.” Ortega justified.
While the “ghost projects” may have left no trace of cement or steel, investigators aim that the paper trail and digital evidence will soon solidify accountability.