Kimberly Capuyan
The Cebu Normal University (CNU) has mandated a full shift to online delivery of classes at its Main Campus to accommodate the retrofitting efforts of school facilities for the Centralized Student Smart Hub project.
The modality shift was first announced by the CNU Supreme Student Council (SSC) in a Facebook post, after receiving a memorandum from the Office of the University President on the morning of July 21.
On the same date was specified as the “transition period” in Memorandum Circular No. 43, s. 2025, which aims to allow the Deans, Supervisors, faculty members, and students to discuss the online modalities, schedules, strategies, and other concerns.
Effective starting July 22, students and progressive groups in the university expressed their concerns on the sudden announcement without proper student consultation.
In a move described to be more than “just poor planning,” the Kabataan Partylist (KPL-CNU) denounced the administration’s flagrant disregard for students’ welfare and right to a stable, accessible education.
“This move will further entrench inequality, as it disproportionately affects those who do not have access to stable internet, leaving them behind in an already unequal system,” KPL-Cebu said in its statement.
The group called for an immediate halt to the full online shift, comprehensive support and assistance to affected students, and public accountability from the administration.
In an interview with Explained PH, Lynmar Kyle Tabaco, a fourth-year Political Science student at CNU, said that many students expressed their disappointment with the administration’s abrupt decision.
Tabaco also added that there was no prior notice from the university higher-ups and faculty, not even during the students’ orientation last July 14.
“The sudden modality shift, from face-to-face to 100 percent online classes during just the second week since the start of the academic year, has come as a shock to everyone, especially to the first-year students who have traveled from different provinces,” Tabaco said.
Many students who are currently staying in boarding houses have also raised concerns about the short notice, including Keivdolf Poblete, a second-year Psychology student.
“The sudden announcement that the modality of classes will be transitioning to full online setup is extremely inconvenient,” Poblete said.
Aside from internet connectivity concerns, Poblete added that he is facing difficulties in settling his lease contract, considering that the return to face-to-face modality is yet to be determined.
“What’s the use of leasing a place when the classes are about to change to full online modality? I could’ve stayed at home and [had] my online classes there if they just released the announcement much earlier,” he said.
The memorandum is effective until the issuance of a certificate of acceptance/usability and occupancy of the Centralized Students Smart Hub project by the relevant government offices.
Only students and faculty members of the CNU College of Nursing and Allied Health Sciences and CNU-VSMMC College of Medicine are exempted from the modality shift order.
Blended Modality
The CNU has previously implemented a hybrid learning model of classes—75 percent onsite and 25 percent online, from October 19, 2024, to February 2025.
An announcement by the CNU Main Campus SSC on October 20, 2024, in a Facebook post said that the transition supports the completion of two major university projects, the Centralized Student Smart Hub and ICT Modernization Development.
Later, the university shifted to a 25 percent onsite and 75 percent virtual hybrid learning model starting February 25.
However, the hybrid setup of 75 percent onsite and 25 percent virtual classes was restored on March 24, to be effective until December 31.
KPL-CNU has announced in its statement that they recently conducted student consultations in response to the administration’s proposed 25 percent onsite and 75 percent online setup.
According to them, the consultations revealed a strong student preference for more accessible and inclusive learning arrangements.
“Despite these efforts to voice legitimate concerns, the administration has now completely abandoned even its blended setup, opting instead for a sudden full online shift—once again ignoring the very students it is meant to serve,” KPL-CNU said.
“We remind the CNU administration that students are not passive recipients of your policies; we are stakeholders whose voices must be heard and whose rights must be respected,” they added.