
Jea Nicole Jacot
The Commission on Higher Education (CHED) has ordered an investigation into Cebu Normal University (CNU) – Main Campus after it mandated an abrupt, 100 percent shift to online learning modality without consultation with students and faculty, and without the approval of the Board of Regents (BOR).
In a statement on August 4, CHED Chairperson Shirley Agrupis said that the agency has tasked its Central Visayas Regional Office (CHEDRO) VII to assess whether CNU President Daniel Ariaso Sr. violated on-site learning guidelines when he issued Memorandum Circular (MC) No. 43, s. 2025, on July 21, which mandated the sudden transition.
On August 2, Ariaso Sr. revoked his earlier directive for a full online shift and instead reinstated the previously BOR-approved MC No. 12, issued in February.
Under the memorandum, CNU Main and Balamban campuses will adopt a hybrid or 75 percent onsite and 25 percent online learning setup from February 22 to December 31.
However, CHED noted that MC No. 45 introduced “new provisions” that did not undergo review by the university’s BOR.
A full report on the CHEDRO VII investigation is expected by August 9.
‘Disservice to students’
Prior to the announcement on the investigation, Senator Pia Cayetano called for a probe into CNU’s abrupt decision, criticizing it as a “failure in leadership” by the university administration.
“A few hours of online instruction, in accordance with CHED guidelines, may be reasonable. But to announce that all classes will be online? That is a disservice to the students,” she said.
“This raises serious questions about the judgment and accountability of CNU President Daniel Ariaso, Sr. I call on CHED to immediately initiate a formal investigation into this matter,” she added.
She then vowed to file a Senate resolution to ensure the matter is “thoroughly examined” and that proper governance is “upheld” in academic institutions.
The shift to a 100 percent online class setup was made to accommodate the retrofitting phase of the Php 947 million Centralized Students Smart Hub, one of two major infrastructure projects with national funding.
Following the news of the online class shift, the CNU Main Campus Supreme Student Council (SSC) conducted a survey that revealed key concerns among students, including struggles with boarding house rent, unstable internet, a lack of devices, and limited access to a conducive learning environment.
Ariaso Sr. responded to criticism in a press conference on July 25, stating the move was made as per a request from the contractor to begin construction for improved facilities.
In a Facebook post, the CNU Main SSC maintained that the decision was made without genuine student consultation.
“It is important to note that the Council did not receive prior consultation on this matter, nor were they given an avenue to propose alternative solutions in light of such a sudden shift,” the statement read.