
Marywin Love Julito
The Philippine National Police – Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (PNP-CIDG) is investigating possible homicide and anti-hazing violations involving Ateneo de Manila University (ADMU) men’s basketball program officials, following the drowning of rookie student-athletes Rene Baterbonia and Divine Adili during a team-building activity in Aurora.
CIDG Director Maj. Gen. Robert Morico II said on June 15 that investigators are examining whether the circumstances surrounding the case could warrant the filing of criminal charges against individuals involved in organizing and supervising the activity.
“This investigation has now turned into a possible homicide investigation or hazing investigation,” Morico said during a press briefing at Camp Crame.
Basis for Investigation
Morico questioned whether organizers exercised proper judgment before allowing the players to enter waters reportedly known by locals for strong waves and dangerous currents.
“Due diligence was not exercised. Like a good father of a family, you will not subject an individual po doon sa gano’ng katataas na waves,” he said.
He also raised concerns over reports that local authorities and resort personnel had warned team officials about the hazards in the area before the activity.
CIDG is likewise looking into why the group moved to a secluded stretch of shoreline about 300 meters away from the resort despite the presence of a lifeguard near the main beachfront.
“The material question that we are going to ask is why go doon sa secluded na lugar more than 300 meters away na malayo sa prying eyes? So basically, you are endangering somebody,” Morico added.
Possible hazing angle
Morico said the CIDG is also determining whether activities conducted during the team-building fall within the scope of the Anti-Hazing Act of 2018.
“The Anti-Hazing Act of 2018 applies not only sa mga fraternities, sa academies, sa mga organizations such as police training. It also applies to any organization or a requirement for continuing membership,” he emphasized.
According to Morico, investigators are assessing allegations involving forced physical activities, exposure to harsh conditions and other forms of treatment that may qualify as hazing under the law.
The CIDG Director said the two victims were newcomers to the Blue Eagles program, making the hazing angle a significant part of the investigation.
Focus on coaching staff
Morico said initial findings have placed the coaching staff, particularly former head coach Thomas Anthony “Tab” Baldwin at the center of the inquiry.
“When [in] the course of the investigation, kaninong utak ‘yon gano’ng training? That’s part of the question, but right now, all directions pinpoints doon sa head coach,” he said.
He stressed that no individual has been cleared of liability as the investigation remains ongoing.
Baldwin and team manager Christopher “Epok” Quimpo resigned following the tragedy, a development confirmed on Monday by ADMU President Fr. Robert Yap, SJ.
Subpoenas and accountability
CIDG issued subpoenas to key Ateneo basketball officials, although only athletics director Emmanuel Fernandez personally appeared before investigators.
Morico said additional subpoenas would be issued to individuals who failed to attend, and to representatives of a telecommunications-linked foundation allegedly involved in the basketball team’s operations and financial support.
“We learned also from the University’s Athletics Office that the Ateneo basketball team allegedly is autonomous and independently run by a foundation,” Morico stated.
Moreover, CIDG is gathering statements from current and former players amid allegations that similar training activities had been conducted in previous years.
Investigators are examining social media claims describing the activity as a “boot camp” rather than a team-building exercise.
“There are allegations ng gano’n, that’s why we subpoenaed some players as resource persons who experienced it,” Morico said.
Morico added that CIDG had asked the Department of Justice to issue an Immigration Lookout Bulletin Order against individuals who failed to comply with the agency’s subpoenas as the investigation continues.