Typhoon Tino reignites Cebu’s flood control woes, unregulated quarrying

Photo Courtesy of Rappler/Happening Dubai/Cebu Daily News Inquirer

Typhoon Tino battered Cebu on Nov. 4, exposing weaknesses in the province’s flood control infrastructure and the consequences of decades of unregulated quarrying.

Floodwaters from the Butuanon, Mananga, and other major rivers inundated communities across Cebu, overwhelming roads, homes, and public infrastructure within minutes.

Government data show that billions have been spent on flood control projects, yet rivers still overflowed, prompting Cebu Governor Pamela Baricuatro to write, “26 billion of flood control funds for Cebu, yet we are flooded to the max.”

The Office of Civil Defense (OCD) revealed that heavy rainfall, equivalent to nearly one and a half months’ worth for November, triggered rapid flooding, but warned that clogged waterways and infrastructure also worsened the disaster.

“We have these warnings, but most of the communities do not know what the red or yellow rainfall warnings mean,” said OCD Deputy Administrator Bernardo Rafelito Alejandro IV. 

“Mag-contribute dyan yung ating development. Because some mga waterways natin are clogged or may mga infrastructures na. So kung malaking tubig po ang bababa, magkakaproblema tayo,” he said.

Alejandro added that Cebu’s growth into upland areas has increased vulnerability.

“Based on initial assessment, mukhang nanggagaling naman talaga sa bundok yan… So ang development naman ng Cebu towards inland, and dun po tinitingnan natin yan,” he added.

The Kilusang Magbubukid ng Pilipinas (KMP) on Nov. 4 said in a statement that the storm exposed the consequences of widespread and unregulated quarrying in upland barangays. 

The group stated that the decades of quarry operations have degraded watersheds and reduced the capacity of mountain areas to absorb rainfall, increasing the severity of flash floods downstream.

Despite temporary suspensions and moratoriums, quarrying remains widespread in Cebu, affecting municipalities including Asturias, Balamban, Bogo, Carcar, Dalaguete, and Toledo.

“The devastation brought by Typhoon Tino is a grim reminder of the results of irresponsible and indiscriminate quarrying. We are witnessing a disaster worsened by plunder and government neglect,” said KMP Chairperson Danilo Ramos.

Alejandro also emphasized the need to rethink urban planning and flood control infrastructure. 

“Infrastructure development na isama natin yung concept ng resiliency. It has to be resilient, it has to be modern, and dapat it should contribute to the overall mitigation or protection ng ating mga communities,” he said.

He added that lands previously considered safe have now become “new flood zones,” and that local governments must integrate hazard maps into long-term land-use planning. 

“Now we really have to rethink how we do our land use planning. It starts with our local government units and then giving them the right information on where to build these communities,” Alejandro said.

Recovery operations are ongoing, with clearing of debris, restoring power and water supply, and delivering relief to isolated communities, and the initial recovery phase could take one to two weeks in some areas.

At least 111 people died in Cebu due to Typhoon Tino’s flash floods as of November 5, with Liloan town recording 35 fatalities, Compostela having 25, Cebu City and Mandaue City with 12 each, Danao City with nine, Talisay City with seven, Balamban with six, Asturias with two, and Consolacion, Bantayan, and Tabogon with one each.

0 Votes: 0 Upvotes, 0 Downvotes (0 Points)

Leave a reply

Stay Informed With the Latest & Most Important News

I consent to receive newsletter via email. For further information, please review our Privacy Policy

Loading Next Post...
Follow
Search Trending
Popular Now
Loading

Signing-in 3 seconds...

Signing-up 3 seconds...