DOE pushes more power capacity amid fragile Visayas grid

Explained PHExplained PHNews1 month ago

Photo Courtesy of Cebu Daily News

Marvin Laurente 

Despite improved reserve capacity, the Department of Energy (DOE) is pursuing measures to expand power generation in the Visayas as the region’s grid remains vulnerable to unexpected outages and rising electricity demand.

The agency said that the reactivation of Unit 3 of Panay Energy Development Corp. (PEDC 3) has improved the Visayas grid’s operating reserves, easing concerns over rotating power interruptions. 

However, the grid’s fragility became evident again when a yellow alert was declared on July 6 after five days of stable operations.

“That is why the Department of Energy continues to pursue measures that will bring more generating capacity into the grid, particularly from renewable energy resources,” DOE Secretary Sharon Garin said during a press briefing.

The secretary added that the department will continue supporting investments in transmission facilities and other critical infrastructure to strengthen the reliability of the Visayas grid.

Power outages persist

Due to forced outages and scheduled maintenance at several major coal-fired power plants, the Visayas have been operating with more than 800 megawatts of unavailable capacity for months.

Among the affected facilities are Therma Visayas Units 1 and 2, each capable of generating 169 megawatts. 

Energy Undersecretary Mario Marasigan said both units are expected to return to service by the end of August.

According to the undersecretary, Kepco SPC Unit 1 in Cebu has also resumed operations after inspections confirmed that previously reported issues in its boiler tubes had been resolved and no major defects were found.

Marasigan noted that the DOE continues to closely monitor the Visayas as electricity demand is expected to increase alongside economic growth in the region.

“In the meantime, while we are continuously anticipating increases in demand due to economic growth in various areas, we continue to give special attention to the Visayas,” Marasigan stated.

Strengthening grid reliability

To reduce the risk of future yellow and red alerts, the DOE is coordinating with the National Grid Corporation of the Philippines (NGCP) and four project proponents to install an additional 270 megawatts of backup or reserve capacity across Cebu, Panay, and Negros.

At least half of the planned capacity is expected to be installed soon.

The department is also evaluating Mohon, as a site for additional generating capacity to improve both power supply and transmission reliability.

Battery energy storage facilities with capacities of 30 megawatts in Mactan, Cebu, and 40 megawatts in Tabango, Leyte, are already operational.

The DOE has also identified a 150-megawatt facility within the franchise area of CEBECO I or II and a 50-megawatt facility in Negros to help distribute additional capacity across the islands.

“We are continuously looking at alternative and clean technologies that we may have to deploy for the Visayas region,” Marasigan said. 

6 Votes: 5 Upvotes, 1 Downvotes (4 Points)

Leave a reply

Stay Informed With the Latest & Most Important News

I consent to receive newsletter via email. For further information, please review our Privacy Policy

Loading Next Post...
Follow
Search Trending
Popular Now
Loading

Signing-in 3 seconds...

Signing-up 3 seconds...