
Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) Secretary Manuel Bonoan said a “cleansing” was lurking within the agency following reports of failed and non-existent flood control projects flagged by President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. in his State of the Nation Address (SONA) last July.
“Titingnan namin kung sino ‘yung mga kasangkot dito sa paggawa ng mga inferior at saka ghost projects,” Bonoan assured in a radio interview on August 23.
The DPWH chief warned that those implicated will be slapped with sanctions, penalties, and even criminal charges.
“I think we’ll have to file all the necessary cases, sanctions din, and let it be a lesson to everybody that we will not allow this kind of thing to happen,” he said.
“We have to cleanse the organization kung kailangan,” he added.
Bonoan noted that such a move could leave only a few, or even none, of his personnel behind.
According to him, the agency’s ongoing audit has so far found that “ghost” projects were located in Bulacan, particularly in the province’s District Engineering Office (DEO) 1.
Earlier this week, President Marcos personally inspected flood control projects in Bulacan and admitted that he was “not disappointed” but rather “angry” at their state.
Bonoan confirmed that at least 10 officials of the DPWH 1st DEO in Bulacan, including its former and current heads, have already been relieved from their posts.
Despite the controversy, he expressed confidence in the agency’s remaining personnel.
Since 2022, the Philippines has spent Php 545 billion on flood management projects, based on preliminary findings from a probe by Marcos’ office, with large portions of the contracts cornered by only 15 contractors.
Because of this, several lawmakers and groups have called for Bonoan to take a leave of absence or even resign “out of delicadeza” for the DPWH’s accountability over the ghost projects.
Adding fuel to the issue, former DPWH Secretary Rogelio Singson admitted he had received “feelers” from Malacañang about possibly replacing Bonoan.
Bonoan, however, stood his ground, stressing that it is up to President Marcos to decide his fate.
“I leave it to the President. My tenure is at the pleasure of the President. He told me to continue the investigation that I’m doing,” the DPWH chief said.
Bonoan was appointed DPWH Secretary upon Marcos’ assumption of the presidency on June 30, 2022.